Philippa is a partner in the Disputes + Investigations practice.
She has over 10 years’ experience advising on complex litigation, investigations and inquiries in both Australia and the UK, including disputes relating to market misconduct, directors’ duties, unconscionable conduct, bribery and corruption, contract, AFSL obligations, professional negligence and fiduciary duties.
Philippa’s broad disputes practice is complimented by her extensive background in assessing corporate risk and compliance regimes and designing enhanced systems and processes that align with the latest industry and legal standards.
Philippa acts for clients in a wide range of sectors, but has particular expertise in financial services. Her clients have included leading Australian and international retail banks, investment banks, executives and senior employees and she also worked at Standard Chartered Bank in London. She has acted on some of Australia’s most significant financial services matters, including the ASIC BBSW prosecution and the Banking Royal Commission, and regularly advises clients on matters involving domestic and international regulators.
Philippa works closely with G+T’s market-leading data, technology and project management experts to deliver innovative, efficient and commercial solutions for her clients.
Philippa’s experience includes advising:
- Westpac on its response to the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry.
- Westpac on ASIC’s investigation into alleged manipulation of the BBSW and the subsequent litigation proceedings.
- An Australian bank on a major risk and compliance audit of certain business units to mitigate against anti-competitive and market misconduct.
- An Australian bank on ASIC’s financial advice compliance project and related adviser investigations.
- An Australian bank on its financial benchmark compliance framework.
- An international investment bank in connection with an administrator’s public examination of its senior bankers.
- A major Australian bank on its regulatory reporting obligations arising from the provision of financial advice.
- A senior employee of an international investment bank in connection with ASIC’s investigation into an equities trade.
- The SFO in its defence of English High Court proceedings arising from the SFO’s discontinued investigation into the collapse of Kaupthing Bank.
- A resources consortium in proceedings to discharge restraint and management receivership orders obtained by the SFO.
- An overseas law firm in proceedings in the NSW Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and High Court of Australia.