Energy + Resources
We advise both Australian and international listed and private companies, involved in resource exploration, development, mine closure, remediation and mining. Our team includes some of the region’s leading industry specialists who have worked throughout the world, including in Australia, Asia, Africa and the United States.
Our services include:
- All aspects of M&A involving energy and resource assets, including public company takeovers and schemes, private acquisitions and disposals, due diligence (including tenement searches) and regulatory approvals (including Foreign Investment Review Board applications).
- Negotiation and documentation of state agreements, farm-in agreements, joint venture agreements, option agreements, royalty agreements, split commodity agreements, compensation agreements and toll treatment agreements.
- All aspects of mine development and oil and gas production, including engineering, procurement and construction contracts and off-take contracts.
- Infrastructure solutions for development projects including pipelines and rail and port arrangements.
- Financing and hedging facilities.
- Environmental regulation and strategic cropping legislation.
- Native title implications of resource and other project development and compliance issues under the Native Title Act.
- Warden’s court matters, including objections to tenement applications and other disputes and occupational health and safety regulations.
Our experience includes:
- The world’s largest proposed private equity deal in the energy & resources sector - Harbour Energy Ltd on the US$14.4 billion bid for Santos Limited.
- The award-winning AU$1.585 billion acquisition by Beach Energy Limited of Lattice Energy Limited (Origin’s conventional upstream oil and gas business) from Origin Energy Limited (together with multiple related gas offtake arrangements).
- The first dual primary listing of a company on the ASX and the HKEx - Yancoal Australia’s dual primary listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and associated IPO to raise HK$1.605 billion and related pro rata accelerated renounceable entitlement offer.
- Yancoal Australia’s Independent Board Committee (“IBC”) on the company’s US$2.45 billion (A$3.27 billion) acquisition of Coal & Allied Industries from Rio Tinto and the related capital raising.
- Mineral Resources Limited in relation to the original $1.15b sale of a 50% interest in the Wodgina lithium project to Albemarle Corporation which was later amended to the sale of a 60% interest in the Wodgina lithium project for a cash payment of US$820m and the transfer of a 40% interest in Albemarle’s Kemerton Hydroxide Plant (Trains 1&2) to Mineral Resources.
- Wesfarmers Limited on the sale of its 13.2% stake in Quadrant Energy for US$170 million.
- Jadestone Energy on its US$195 million acquisition of the Montara offshore oil project from PTTEP.
- Whitehaven Coal Limited in relation to its bid for the Queensland coal assets of Rio Tinto, and its acquisition of the Winchester South project from Rio Tinto.
- Talison Lithium, on a major contractual dispute relating to its mining operations at Greenbushes, the world’s biggest lithium mine.
- Al Rawda Resources Limited in relation to its then proposed purchase of the Askaf Project in the Islamic Republic of Mauritania and an iron ore project in the Republic of Guinea.
Awards + Recognition
Gilbert + Tobin Energy and Resources Group - Winners of the 2020 Beaton Client Choice Awards for the Best Provider to Mining, Oil and Gas.
Awarded the Energy & Resources Deal of the Year for advising Beach Energy Limited on its $1.585 billion acquisition of Lattice Energy Limited, the conventional upstream oil and gas business of Origin Energy Limited.
Awarded the Energy & Resources Deal of the Year for advising Wesfarmers on its sale of its stake in Quadrant Energy to Santos.